Monday, July 02, 2007

Chen-Gang

Quote of the Day - Andrew Sullivan
Honor Amongst Thieves - Matt Yglesias

So the president decided that Mr. Libby's conviction was 'excessive' and thus commuted it. I'd call shenanigans but I'd probably end up in a detention facility for my trouble. It's bunk and we know it's bunk. What's amusing to see is the reaction of the kool-aid right. Defend at all cost, spin no matter how fast you have to go. Part of the reason why President Bush commuted the conviction lies with his polling numbers. The hope is that his numbers among the base will stabilize. Pollster.com has the president at just under 30% so right now everything is on the table in terms of what the president might do. Yet I don't think the half-measure of commuting the sentence will fully succeed. Those in the rightist base who still wholeheartedly agree with the president might take offense to a simple commutation. At the same time, I think the metastasizing effect of a pardon will still occur despite the president only commuting the sentence. Those in the middle who are still on the fence will probably move further against this administration. Personally, I don't see any immediate serious effects but I have the feeling that nearer the end of his term the president will begin to feel the drop-off in support.

No comments: