Monday, August 13, 2007

Informational Minds

Study: Primary Role of the Internet Shifting from Communication to Content - Ars Technica

I don't really see a shift here. What I do see is the continuation of our need for information and a culture that constantly seeks new ways of transmitting information. While I am not one to attribute the motive force of history to a single element, I do think that the way and speed at which information travels has a lot to do with how the history of the West has progressed. I think that content and communication are two aspects of the same cultural production. We have created a new way to transmit information and as it did when the novel or the printing press itself was created, culture caught up and began transforming it into something else. I don't see this as anything earth-shattering. Now when we start altering our minds themselves then I'll say that's earth-shattering. This is just more of the same with new packaging.

No comments: