Monday, June 04, 2007

Lindy Hop

Blame It On the Boogie - Andrew Sullivan
Lindy Hop - Wikipedia

I didn't know about Lindy Hop until the name-drop in one of Sullivan's posts (hence the wiki link). What I find amusing is that one of the more well-known lindy hop groups was in A Day at the Races, which is one of my favorite Marx Brothers movies ("No, you sap!"). I remember reading about Latin American dance and music styles and their deep connection to Africa through the slave trade. Tango and salsa are two kinds of dances that are intimately tied to Africa through the meeting of slaves late at night and during festivals to dance their old god dances. This is the kind of 'real' dance and music that interests me so much. While I love my polished and produced music, there's something about the rawness of this kind of music that you can't find anywhere else.

No comments: