Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Apps, SDKs and Apple's Open Sauce

So I received an iPod Touch as a Christmas gift this year. I've played with it for about a week now and while I do love having a truly mobile web browser I do have to complain about the lack of apps for it and Apple's attempt to prevent me from using a different browser, say Firefox for example. I don't want to go through some messy process of unlocking it each time Apple releases a firmware update nor do I want to let my device lag in its abilities by refusing to update the firmware. I understand Apple's corporate position in wanting to keep users using Safari but it Apple wants to avoid looking like a small-time Microsoft then opening up its software just a little is necessary. The browser wars are over and locking users into only one option when it comes to browser software is what got Microsoft in trouble in the first place. So that's my pet peeve about an otherwise great device.

No comments: