Monday, June 25, 2007

Black Devil Disco Club

Black Devil Disco Club - Pitchfork

I found a track by this group on Hot Chip's DJ Kicks comp that I purchases Saturday. Spent as much time as I could tracking down tracks by this group and another defunct group called Gramme. While the track "Like U" by Gramme is brilliant in it's strangely prescient electro-rock stylings, it's the back story behind Black Devil Disco Club that gets me. The music is excellent, whether it was done in 1979 as is claimed or done in the last five years. Supposedly, the original e.p. was kept secret for nearly twenty years until dug up by one of the guys from the Chemical Brothers and sampled in one of their tracks. After seeing a series of vinyl pressings, the tracks finally hit last year in the form of a six-song e.p. It's all a big mystery really, which only add to the haunted aura of the music, stripped down (or futuristic depending on your time frame) and the production is actually pretty good for what is supposed to be a self-produced, small-time act. Any fan of the Knife (of which I have only a partial liking) should listen to this group and hunt down as many tracks as you can. I love it, I love the story and I love the way the name rolls off your tongue. Bands should have names like this more often. It points you in a direction and kicks you when you look.

No comments: